Friday, January 18, 2013

A Secret Garden Tea



I've always had a love-hate relationship with the month of January. 
On the one hand there are the grim, grey and icy days, when sometimes stepping out your front door is a daunting prospect, but then again, this unfriendly climate offers the perfect excuse to retreat to the cozy comfort of a good book or revisit a forgotten or unfinished project, preferably accompanied by a steaming cup of tea. It's a time when new ideas start to brew and and as magazines arrive with glossy pictures of gardens, it seems Spring is right outside your window even through the bare branches and crisp frozen ground.

That's why I was especially thrilled to hear that the blog 2 Bags Full decided to host a Grow Your Blog Party party at this time of year! What a wonderful way to "virtually" meet and mingle with other bloggers and readers and help one another's ideas and enterprises come into full bloom. The theme of "growth" along with the cheerful floral design button brought to mind one of my all time favorite children's (or any perpetual child's) books on those themes:
 The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.


When young, I was captivated by this story of the misplaced girl discovering a mysterious forgotten garden on her uncle's grand but dreary estate. Of course extensive searching of my own childhhod backyard proved that my suburban home did not, indeed, have any such fanciful place but I still delighted in the possibility. Years later I realized that the garden was a metaphor and paralleled the characters development etc etc- but at the time it was a tale of hope, magic and possibilities. With that in mind and since gardening season is still a ways off, I thought I'd create my own indoor secret garden escape in honor of this fun event. 

"Might I have a bit of earth?"

                         Mary in Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden


I couldn't be more thrilled to have my post featured as one of Jody and Stan's favorites on
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Please visit their delightful site Rooted in Thyme!





As a confessed bibliophile, the idea of cutting out the pages of a book, especially a childhood classic, is a horrific thought. So I hit the thrift store for a less precious tome and with all due respect to Danielle Steel (I actually have a copy of this in my "beach read" section and it's a pretty captivating read) I didn't feel as badly about substituting this romance I found for $1 for the real thing. I've seen some photos around the internet featuring plants set in books but couldn't find a clear tutorial so I improvised with a bit of trial, error and mess.

You will Need:
used book 
*Of course make sure it's not some rare first edition, and that is is large enough to hold plastic liner
plastic pot liner (54 cents at Lowe's)
craft knife
small plant- I could only find ivy at the supermarket
coat hanger or strong wire
craft moss, mini stones
silk flowers
popsicle sticks
drawer pull, button or decor for the door
mini furnishings or accessories of your choice, small animals, flower pots, benches etc
print outs - on our printable page of this or any favorite garden themed book
modge podge
paints
sealer or varnish


 Paint the book if desired

Decoupage cover art on front (and if desired- title on book spine). I also gave my book a wash of gold acrylic and I painted a quick watercolor blur of blue, green, and brown inside the cover which will be the backdrop for the garden  
Once dry, spray with sealant to protect finish and voila- and easy redo from steamy romance to treasured child's story (at least on the outside)

Next place liner on desired position on page and trace around. Using a craft knife cut out section of pages to create an opening. This takes patience (you have to remove many sections individually to get to the desired depth). Paint top page with a coat of modge-podge or clear sealant to protect from spills. 
Insert liner in opening to ensure fit, cutting out a bit more if needed.
Remove liner, place some small stones in bottom and  add and arrange plants, moss and decorations reset into book once complete.
For the secret door I used the same process to create my Elf Door from the Post Scandanavian Christmas, using popsicle sticks, adapting the width to desired size.

 "Plant" door in soil base
To form ivied entryway, cut wire or coat hanger to desired length and form an arch which will fit around door with some room to spare. Press into soil and wind ivy around wire to create arch.
Add moss and stones and glue on silk flowers. Add any other accessories you fancy to make your garden your own.

I glued a ribbon to inside cover and attached a key. Simply wedge ribbon between some pages to hold book open and display your garden.

You can water lightly or spray to keep moist, but your garden might not last forever.
When garden outgrows base, remove liner and plant something new or for staying power use convincingly "faux" foliage



"Where you tend a rose, my lad,
a thistle cannot grow"


from The Secret Garden


An invitation

 from Robin Redbreast




A chatty Robin led the way to the garden in the story, but should you want to host Secret Garden Party without a feathered friend to lead the way, you can borrow his image and create this easy invitation. Since the Key was such a major element in the story I added one to the top with ribbon.


You'll need:
printable from printables page
sturdy paper
Key charms (these I found in the scrapbook section of my craft store $2.00 for a pack of six- but flea markets or yard sales usually have delightful vintage keys as well)
ribbon

Print out the image and attach to blank card or sturdy paper. I use spray adhesive to avoid those nasty glue bubbles. Cut two small openings near top and attach a key with ribbon.
( I also included a blank version of the image that could be used for menu or place cards.)
These images were all downloaded free from The Graphics Fairy -The most wonderful site for vintage clip art and inspiring ideas!


Fairy Cakes and Lemon Curd Tartlets



In the story, Mary, Collin and Dickon were often left to their own devices, freely roaming the grounds of Misselthwaite Manor. If they were to pack a picnic tea to bring to the garden I'm sure it would consist of lots of sweet treats, fresh berries and ripe produce from the kitchen garden as well as the favorite rustic oatcakes made by Dickon's mother.
Admittedly as much as I enjoy baking and partaking of sweet confections, my skill level in the kitchen doesn't reflect my enthusiasm. So I often resort to simpler semi-scratch creations that still capture the spirit of the occasion but for authentic Yorkshire recipes (and delightful activities) check your library for these two wonderful companion books to the story:
The Secret Garden Cookbook
Inside the Secret Garden


You'll need:
for fairy cakes
pound cake- thawed if frozen
white icing (melted in microwave) or glaze
mini marshmallows
sprinkles
for tartlets
filo cups
lemon or coconut curd
berries and mint leaves for garnish



sweet treats with the help of Sara and the Dickinsons

Fairy Cakes

Cut poundcake into about 1/2"- 3/4" slices. Using biscuit cutter or 2 varied sized drinking glasses cut out circles. Pour some glaze larger circle and place smaller on top. 


Cut marshmallow in half on the diagonal and dip cut side into sugar sprinkles. pour more glaze onto top of cake, let drizzle down sides and arrange marshmallow buds like flower. I first saw this marshmallow idea in the book Hello Cupcake! A must have in your cookbook collection if you love fun sweets!

Curd Tartlets


Fill cups with curd. Add berry and mint leaf. The mint adds a nice fresh taste. No culinary skills needed here!
serve with tea and garnish with mint sprigs
Animals were important symbols in the story so be sure to invite some along
Quick PennyWise Tips:
I have a strip of "faux" grass from a home improvement store I use as a table runner that is great for any outdoor theme party (it's been used for a dinosaur baby shower, Kentucky derby party and July 4th) so I got my money's worth out of it.

"Shop" in your home home for any objects that might go with your theme before hitting the store (I had the concrete duck outside and the moss covered bunny in my easter decorations)

"If you look the right way, 

you can see that the whole world is a garden"

 Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden






118 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post ~ I love it!! I've come to your delightful blog from Beverly's Pink Saturday, and am so glad I did ~ Now following you, my Dear!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lured in through Vicki's blog party by the promise of tea and a reminder of a favourite childhood book - your post brought it all back to me, and what a wonderful idea for a secret garden. I'm tempted to try it. Had you seen the youtube clips of The Pothole Gardener in London? Very similiar idea. Magical. Will be following you - in the nicest possible way of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've never seen the Pothole Gardener in London- but will be doing a google search on that right away!- love London and gardens! :) Thanks for following and so glad others still have a place in their heart for that story!

      Delete
  3. Happy Pink Saturday, what a lovely post. please feel free to visit mine http://laraslovelycreations.blogspot.com/2013/01/happy-pink-saturday.html

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those pictures are amazing. Want to eat those cakes. Will be back soon.
    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- I'm still figuring out my new camera! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! I've always loved The Secret Garden. It was always one of my favorite stories as a child growing up. I still put in one of the movie adaptations on occasion. I'll definitely pin this for later. :)

    -Velody stopping by from http://www.treegoldandbeegold.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- it was one of my favorite books as well! I love the 1993 movie version - so beautifully done

      Delete
  6. Wow! Loved the Secret Garden and I really love your planter idea. I've added it to my to do list. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little book garden is uh-dorable! You've been a busy girl. Our weather over the past week has been deplorable. So depressing. Rain, rain, more rain and then snow. But as usual in the South, the day after the snow fell, the sun came out, now a cloud in the sky and it's warmed up a bit. All it takes is a little sun for me to feel energized and ready to tackle projects. I'll leave sweet book gardens to those of you more talented, though. Yeah. Mine would definitely not be "cute" or "sweet". LOL

    By the way, if you want to subscribe to my blog, Just Vintage Home, and other blogs who aren't using Blogger, there's an RSS feed icon, looks kinda like a sound wave, with the Facebook and Pinterest icons. Other people may have it in another location. It'll put the feed into your Google Reader.

    Thanks for stopping by! This is fun, isn't it?

    Wanda @ Just Vintage
    http://justvintagehome.com -- I'm signed in with my Google account which might take you all over the world, so I went ahead and put my URL here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much- I sort of dove into blogging before I figured out all the techy stuff ! Love your site and if you want to try it the book project is really easy- I do not have green thumb at all! and you are so right This is tons of fun!
      Cheers

      Delete
  8. what a great idea. so creative - the book design (super cool, love it!!!) & those sweets (yummy good, i bet). so great for the blog party. hope you will stop by my blog too. have a great weekend. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! - I will definitely pay you a visit! I love browsing all these new blogs!

      Delete
  9. I wish I would have thought to prepare for this fun blog party! But then I wouldl not have time to party online! LOve your book! I am a collector of old books and varies other fun stuff. I could actually do this today.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love old books also- so it was hard for me to cut into one - even a $1 beach read-lol - I'll pop over to your site!

      Delete
  10. OH my goodness I truelly feel like I've been missing out not knowing about your blog until today. I love everything and yoru tutorials are great! The Polar Bear balloons are fabulous.

    I hope you have a wonderful blog hop, it has been a delight meeting you.
    Hugs
    Caroline
    www.cmoh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're so sweet- Thnak You- and you haven't missed much - Pennywise barely three months old - lol (Halloween was my first post) I'll pop over and visit you!
      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete
  11. What a fun post, I enjoyed it so much, all my favorites, tea, tartlets, flowers, birds, books, wow!! And you lucky girl, you live near The Talking Teacup AND Peddlers' Village, two of my favorite places to visit on a day trip. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!- and New York is apretty fabulous place to live lol :)

      Delete
  12. I love your ideas for books. The first time I cut up a book I felt so guilty, but I love how it turned out, so I don't think twice now.

    I'll be back for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I felt the exact same way but now want to try some more book crafts!

      Delete
  13. I'm joining all the above in saying you have such a lovely and interesting blog. Your ideas are wonderful and I can't wait to try them. I'm following now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're so nice! his is a new venture so I'm so glad people are enjoying it.

      Delete
  14. Hi Cristina. Love, LOVE the book garden idea. Showed it to Chloe and she's all over making one. How very kind of you to share this project. Isn't this GYB blog hop fantastic? I can't wait to see more of your website. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! please share a photo if you make one! I'm having a great time checking out all these blogs I might not have found!

      Delete
  15. Your blog is so very pretty! I love the invitations, so cute!
    Thanks for the sweet words you left on my blog; I'm really looking forward to following along with you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun to find so many blogs I might have missed!

      Delete
  16. I love what you've done with the books, just beautiful! I'm like you I don't want to destroy a book but this is a great way to use old out of use books. Thanks for the tutorial, I may give this a try. Love your blog..........

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much-I was so delighted to find your blog as well! I was nervous about cutting up the book but you're right it was out of use and now I have a new appreciation for it- as long as i can keep the plants alive lol

      Delete
  17. That book garden would fit in perfectly with A Fanciful Twist's Mad Tea Party blog hop in June/July.

    Popped in from from the Grow Your Blog hop.

    Give me a visit some time ~
    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sounds like a such a fun event! I'd love to be included! I will probably do a few more tea parties by then- just let me know the details- I'd love to pop over to your site- love the name!

      Delete
  18. Such a great idea and very creative.

    Hopping from Pink Saturday.
    Here's MINE, your comment is always appreciated.

    PS. I am now your blog follower, please feel free to follow back. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Christina, I found you through 2 Bags Full and I am now a follower. Your book garden is sooo cute and the little cakes look yummy! I love the entire vignette. xx, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, love the garden book! I'm your newest Follower; can't wait to go and read more! Love your blog and so glad to have found you via Vicki's party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow love the blog and your ideas! i've joined for more reading and glad to have found you through vickis party!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks everyone!- this blog party was such fun and what a great way to discover new blogs and wonderful people! I'm very new at this blogworld and everyone has been so supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are a very! creative person not only writting but crafty too.
    I will be back If you visit I will visit you
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow...this is right up my alley. I love your blog and your great book garden post. I am having great fun at the Blog Party. I hope you will visit me back and take a look at my altered books.

    Aloha from Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha- thanks so much- popped over to your site and love love love the little books in the denim pockets!

      Delete
  25. I love your Secret Garden post! I appreciate you signing up for my blog and I have done the same for you. I'm anxious to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have a lovely blog. I'm a new follower and participant of 'Grow your Blog'. Have fun at the party!
    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
  27. How delightful and your fairy garden is wonderful. I've not seen one in a book before - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My heavens... your generosity in not only creating such a lovely party but the details in how to do it for ourselves is amazing!!! I, too, am an avid lover of books but I found one of our local libraries has a shelf filled with "free" books. No worries about using the pages as the beginning of a project or utilizing the covers as a support for something else! Lucky, right?! I am your newest follower and can't wait to see what I will find when I return again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - and Free Books! You are lucky :) you are so right about recreating them into something else :) So glad you're following!

      Delete
  29. HI CHRISTINA
    CONGRTULATIONS!!! YOUR JOB IS WONDERFUL, THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR ART.
    I AM YOUR NEWEST FOLLOWER, HAVE NICE DAY
    HUGS
    MIVA

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your secret book garden is fantastic! I've never seen anything like it, Christina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You - it was fun to make- a little messy but fun!

      Delete
  31. What a fabulous post! Christina...your vignette is incredible! I am glad you used a less precious book...I would have had a hard time defacing the real thing! Everything is perfect...from design to tarts to...well, everything! Thanks so much for linking your fabulously creative post to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're too nice! I have a lot of fun creating these so I'm so pleased if people enjoy them. And Thanks for hosting Tuesday Cuppa tea!- Love linking up with other tea enthusiasts!

      Delete
  32. What a creative and fun idea! I'll be stopping by often for inspiration! My granddaughters would love something like this as we've made a few fairy gardens together ourselves! I'm here through Vicki's GYB party. Sandy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you like it!- I want to try a fairy garden this spring- love miniature anything

      Delete
  33. Tarts...yummy. Thanks for your comment on my blog and following me. I am following you also!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I found you through Vicki's GYB party. Your pictures and creativity are amazing.
    I will be back soon to see what else you are doing.

    If you have a chance, come visit me nonniescedarchest.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Christina - I am here form 2 Bags Full.

    What an enchanting blog you have! I see many things I want to do and I've only started browsing.

    (1)The Secret Garden Book Planter is a must as that book is still a fave of mine. (2) The Downton Abby ideas are precious and also a need do. (3) The edible snowglobes are happening next weekend! (4) And finally, i will make dog silhouettes in honour of my precious dog who passed away last year. I wanted to make something this Christmas, but didn't have the heart to do so.

    I am looking forward to seeing what else you come up with that I too can create. Thanks soooo much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found some ideas you are going to try! and Many Thanks for your kind words! So sorry to hear about your dog - a silhouette would be a lovely tribute. We lost one our feline friends last year:(
      This blog is a new venture so it's so exciting to see people take an interest it!
      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete
  36. Such fabulous ideas and directions; I really like the garden book idea, it's so cute. visiting via Vicki's GYB party and enjoying your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Christina, "The Secret Garden" has offered solace to so many children. In answer to your question, YES, your book garden is exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about adding beauty to the world. It has brought pleasure to me, and everyone else who read the post, I'm sure. I hope you will consider contributing to my "Gentle Plan". I know I'm going to enjoy following your blog, it is enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much!- I'd be more than glad to contribute it to your "Gentle Plan" project. Sounds wonderful! Just let me know the details-(I'm not terribly tech-y- just recently started my blog) So glad i found your blog through the blog party!
      Cheers!
      Christina

      Delete
  39. I think your blog is great and I love your creative ideas! I'm a new follower! -
    Derrith

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, that is so neat. I have to confess that I was relieved to see that you cut into a Danielle Steele novel instead of the real deal. ;) I always enjoyed that book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- and me too! just couldn't cut into the real thing lol

      Delete
  41. I love your Secret Garden book! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks so much and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I loved reading your post, you've done a wonderful job with the secret garden theme! And I know the feeling of not wanting to use a book for other purposes than reading. Today, for the first time in my life, I started altering a book. Yikes :)

    Hugs and happy day to you,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Wendy! I'd love to see your book project once you dive in- I'm actually eager to do more with books now that the initial trauma is over LOL-
      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete
  44. Thanks so much for sharing this creative post at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love this project and how it turned out. The secret garden theme is perfect.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting!-I always love being part of your Simple and Sweet Fridays! Sorry I had a problem downloading my photo-oops!

      Delete
  45. What a beautiful post!! A superb idea!! My great friend is coming over for the day to craft in a few hours!! I think this will be the best project to work on together. Such fun.
    I found your from Vicki's blog party and will definitely be following for more wonderful ideas.
    catiean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you're going to try it - I would love to see a pic! and Thanks! - I'm still browsing my way through the blog party- what fun!
      Cheers!
      Christina

      Delete
  46. That's one of my favorite books, too. You had such a wonderful idea to make it into a garden. How appropriate! Please visit me at my blog, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congrats Christina! You've been featured at Simple & Sweet Fridays for this creative project. Love the idea of making a secret garden out of a book! Fantastic! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Love, love, love your blog and Simple & Sweet Fridays! Couldn't be more thrilled you featured me!

      Delete
  48. Hi there visiting from Jody & Stan - I am journeying with Grow Your Blog too. I love your ideas - the grass 'tablecloth' is brilliant for a summer garden bbq. Lovely book garden, very inspirational - see you again Betty

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks so much Betty! I'll drop by your site- I'm trying to visit as many as i can from the party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love your blog - and all the lovely creative tutorials! The Secret Garden was one of my favorite childhood books, and the book garden is a wonderful idea! Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda- so many people have said that book was a childhood favorite!

      Delete
  51. Visiting from Vicki's Grow Your Blog; what a delightful little respite - lovely post. Thanks so much. I am a new following and hope to get back as often as possible. Hugs from Alaska. Karen (www.alaskabluemoose.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks so much! Wow- I've always wanted to visit Alaska- it's on my "someday" list- until then I'll pop over to visit your blog!
    Cheers
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thiese books deserve "THE MOST CREATIVE" award - wonderful ideas here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're so nice! so glad you liked the book garden- such fun to make!

      Delete
  54. Wow -- you sure do go all out! I am intrigued by your book garden design -- it turned out great!! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi Christina, what a totally awesome blog post! I love your tutorials especially the book garden! I am for sure going to have to make myself one of those...how amazingly creative! I am your newest follower from Vicki's GYB party over at 2 Bags Full. I can't wait to come back for more snooping, er, perusing around! :D
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,
      Thanks so much - and you're very welcome to peruse all you like :) I should have a new post in the next few days
      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete
  56. Thanks so much!- This was one of my favorite books too (sorry to Danielle-lol)- I will definitely swing by your blog- and so glad you're following!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi Christina, thanks so much for your visit and sweet comment. Also for becoming one of my sweet followers! I look forward to many visits to your blog and getting to know you much better! After all, us artsy gals must stick together!:D
    Hugs,
    Bet P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisabet! And your right about us "artsy gals" - I met so many through this blog party :)

      Delete
  58. Stopping by from the GYB party. I love your Secret Garden! Reminds me a bit of my Gnome Garden I created this past summer. I went way overboard, but had so much fun creating my garden! Love the party decor also.

    ~ Sherrie (Bird Lady)

    http://www.birdladyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi Sherrie- A gnome garden - How fun! i'll pop over to your blog for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Christina! What an ambitious person you are here! I love the book The Secret Garden and enjoyed your little cakes you decorated. Imaginative and creative! The Orange Blossom cake is a prize too! Thank you for sharing. HUgs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  61. This whole post is FABULOUS! I love the garden in the book, your cakes look delightful and your presentation is perfect! Love Love Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rebecca!
      So glad you enjoyed the post! It was such fun to create-
      Cheers!

      Delete
  62. Tina, the secret garden was my most beloved book when u was a child too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny! I still love it! lol- just rented one of the movie versions on Netflix- I got so many women saying they have fond memories of that book.

      Delete
  63. One of my favorite childhood books! I just wanted to let you know that I featured your amazing project on my blog DETAILS.

    xxoo
    carolyn
    homework | http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/
    & DETAILS | http://carolynsdetails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn,
      I'm thrilled to be featured on your site and so glad you enjoyed the post!
      So many people have said they have such fond memories of that book :)
      Your blog is beautifully done - signed up to follow
      Cheers!
      Christina

      Delete
  64. I am so glad I have found this post again. I saw it way back in January and just loved it. I recently opened a gmail account just so I could start leaving comments. I found a mini door at goodwill last night and could not wait to reread your post for the directions on the secrete garden book planter. It took an hour for me to go through my bookmarks and find you again. The thought of this lovely planter inspired me to want to make one of my own. I have now become a follower of your blog (so easy to do with a gmail account). Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Candy!
      Delighted you'll be following and so glad you liked the project but sorry it took so long to find! That happens to me all the time -lol- I opened a gmail account for the same reason-plus it makes following blogs much easier too-
      I'd love to see how the planter turns out when you're done if you want to send a photo! :)
      I also put highlights from many of my posts on Hometalk - if you ever visit that site I'm
      http://www.hometalk.com/christina11
      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete
  65. WHAT A TREAT FOR US!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!;) LOOOOOOOOOVE your little garden! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:) AND even the little tea time treats! THANK YOU & THANK YOU for the INVITATION TOO!!! :) (Found you through Graphics Fairy!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! This was one of my favorite childhood books- The projects were such fun to make and I love adding to tea to almost everything. If you're interested there's also blank version of the invitation on my "printables" page- Thanks again for your kind words!
      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete

Love to hear your comments and suggestions! Because of excessive spam we are currently asking for that pesky word verification