Friday, October 24, 2014

An Enchanting Brew: A Witches' Tea party




 If anyone knows how to throw a party, it's Vanessa Valencia from 
A Fanciful Twist I was delighted to participate in her Mad Tea Party tea party this summer so when I heard she was hosting a Halloween Blog Party I jumped at the chance to take part.
While this is the season for stirring up all sorts of gore and ghoulish magic I thought I'd opt for a less terrifying fete and host an enchanting witches' afternoon tea.
With some scarily simple DIY's, a few hauntingly appropos props and easy semi-scratch recipes it's fun to delight your guests with a bewitching twist on teatime tradition.
  
Setting the Table
There's a  fabulous array of specialty Halloween tableware available for sale in shops and online (some at scarily steep prices) but it's lots of fun to create your own spooktacular dessert dishes without eating into your candy budget. 
This under glass decoupage technique has been around for ages and can be customized to the occasion using your favorite paper images, or even fabrics and trim and paint. 
I made a burlap Thanksgiving version you can see here

You'll Need
Clear glass plates of desired size 
(dollar stores often carry these)
Paper printable or image of choice
ModgePodge
Glass friendly paint
 I kept plates fairly simple using a printable I created with with spooky lettering and Gothic inspired images from The Graphics Fairy I cut out each design to desired size and generously coated the reverse of the plate with Modge Podge. I then firmly but gently attached images to back of plate smoothing often to remove any air bubbles. 
I allowed plenty of time for the plates to dry (several hours) before spritzing the backs with a coat of glass friendly spray paint. I chose one which simulates gold plate for an elegant touch.Once everything is set, a coat of clear varnish can be sprayed on back for extra protection 
Alternately printables could simply be placed under glass plates as temporary decor.


Please note: these dishes are in no way dishwasher safe and should only be wiped gently with a cloth to clean.

Hats Required

Of course a proper hat is a must for any afternoon tea and these downsized  versions of classic witches toppers give a nod to the wildly popular fascinator trend and are lots of fun to put together.
You'll Need
Plastic headbands or hair clips
Assorted Craft supplies which can include:
Small witch hats
decorative trim, tulle, hot glue, faux jewels, glitter, accents, ribbons

This project is really anything goes! I started using a couple small witch hats I found at my craft shop but you can create your own using paper or by cutting down paper party hats and adding a round brim.
I simply adorned mine with lace, paper, glitter and odds and ends.
I then either hot glued to a headband on a slight angle or attached to barrettes or combs. 

On the Menu 

While any fun Halloween recipes could work on the menu, in keeping with the "ladylike" teatime theme, I chose more delicately and subtly spooky fare than all out ghoulish or gory treats. I shared a couple here.

Spiderweb Deviled Eggs
This Classic party staple gets a seasonal twist using crackled hard boiled eggs, which are so popular around Halloween. To showcase the "webs" simply use your favorite deviled recipe and serve vertically on egg cups.  Store bought pumpkin spice cream cheese on cocktail size brown bread make cute pumpkin tea sand"witches" accompaniments.

There are different ways to achieve this crackled look (Martha has one using blueberries) but I tried this version from babble.com which uses frozen cherries for coloring. I've also read that food coloring or dark tea can also be substituted as the flavor is not detected. 



Bats in your Belfry Chocolate Bat 
Cake Toppers
Simple cakes or cupcakes (store bought or homemade) can get an easy accent with chocolate bats. I had seen this clever technique with adorable chocolate butterflies on the blog We lived happily ever after so thought I'd "wing" it with bats.
You'll Need
Frosted Cake or cupcakes
(I bought an angel food cake and added an icing glaze)
black choco melts 

wax paper
thick hardback books

Melt chocolate disks according to instructions and spoon into pastry bag, squeeze bottle or plastic baggie with corner snipped off.


 If desired sketch or print out bat templates, fold in half pressing crease firmly and center between open pages so wings arch outward creating dimension
      
Fold wax papers same way and place over template. Carefully trace template using melted chocolate, filling in silhouette and let cool completely. Once hardened gently lift and peel wax paper from back and attach to cake using icing.
The bat gate found at my craft store was really designed for miniature gardens



Bewitching animals and feathered friends join the party, resting amid natural elements. A bottle of "food coloring" potion adds a touch of magic.

  
A whimsical nest of pearls and timeworn books add interest

and the ladies arrive

Wishing everyone the Most Enchanting of holidays!
 Visit the delightful A fanciful Twist for more Halloween joys
&
links to participating bloggers
&
For these and other ideas pop over to our previous Pennywise Halloween Posts
 DIY Crystal Ball and Raven globes on nevermore 
Whimsical Hot Air Balloons when-pumpkins-fly
a friendly spirit from pet-ghost-in-jar



64 comments:

  1. My husband just ran into the room to see what i was squealing about. "She has witch hats," I told him. "And Poe(ish) things, and kitties!"

    I'm bookmarking your post. And probably stalking your for a while. You make pure magical beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're too funny! So glad you liked the post and the Poe references (leftovers from last year's Raven theme haha) but I somehow now have Sound of Music's "favorite things" song in my head - Witch hats and kitties and poems by Poe - lalala
      please pop back and visit again - friendly stalkers welcome
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. A most enchanting tea! I also made eggs ( I made the Martha recipe) --so fun. I like the way you deviled them
    and used the egg cups.
    Thanks for stopping by my party. Have a very spooky--or enchanting --Halloween!!

    Chrislyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Love the way your eggs turned out! Think I'll try your version next year - they are fun to make- So glad you stopped by for a visit! Happy Halloween!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  3. Your party is simply, yet elegantly, inspired.
    I am so glad I have somewhere to wear my new sharp pointed orange hat.
    This post wouold work wonderfully well with the Nevermore Rapport aprty happening later this month.

    http://dogsmomvisits.blogspot.com/2014/10/haunted-wishes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much -You and your hat are welcome anytime! This was such fun- and I'll definitely look into the nevermore Party!!!!

      Delete
    2. well my schedule got tied up and couldn't join the nevermore party :( but am marking it for next year if they do it again! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a fabulous group of DIYs. I have to try making the bats, that trick with the books is pure genius! Thanks so much for sharing these great ideas. Cheers. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and your blog name is hilarious! Wish I could take credit for the book idea but I borrowed it and tweaked it a bit- LOl- so glad you stopped by and hope you'll visit again
      Cheers

      Delete
  5. I love this post! Those little hats...too cute. Thank you for the lesson on how to create them (my cats won't thank you, though, lol). The vignettes you created are beautiful, too, and I loved looking at them. Happy Halloween!

    Victoria from Brushstrokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Victoria!
      My cats are uncooperative models too! haha
      so glad you liked the post and please pop back and visit again
      Cheers!

      Delete
  6. Hi Christina, I enjoyed the tutorials you shared for your Halloween Party. Maybe next year, I'll try my hand at creating Halloween decorations. Happy Halloween to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shell! These projects really took no time at all :)
      Thanks for visiting
      Happy halloween!

      Delete
  7. You are amazing, look at these awesome tutorials!! Thank you, your photos are lovely too. Cackle cackle, clink clink, witches tea!! ;-)

    Happy Halloweeeeen <3, Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!!!
      and cauldrons of thanks for hosting! Your parties are just so much fun!

      Cheers & the Happiest of Halloweens!

      Delete
  8. Yummy tea! And great tutorials. So fun! Thank you for sharing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Nicole!
      This blog party has been so much fun! :)
      Cheers!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful tutorial. So creative. I love this idea. I am definitely going to try this.

    Hope you can stop by our party: http://peachycheek.blogspot.com

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim! So glad you enjoyed the post :)
      This blog party has been such fun- I'm still getting around to visiting everyone
      Cheers

      Delete
  10. Lovely party... thanks for the "how-tos"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOWY WOW! Spooktacular Party Post & DYI Halloween Treasures! I'm joining your site. Hope you'll fly by my Are You A Good Or Bad Witch? Halloween Party & Be Blessed with powerful Wiccan Wishes... Enchantingly Yours, Lyndy Ward >^..^<
    http://todaysgold.blogspot.com/2014/10/are-you-good-witch-or-bad-witch.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lyndy!
      So glad you liked the tea party! This blog party has been so much fun - I'll definitely stop over and visit!
      I just did a cat witch painting (it's on my sidebar but tiny) holding a banner saying Are you a Good witch or a bad Witch? LOL
      Happiest of Halloween
      Cheers!

      Delete
  12. OHHHH WOW i love your Halloween Tea Party....happy halloween
    Kerstin from germany
    www.cobblestone-prims.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guten Tag Kerstin!
      So glad you enjoyed the party!
      I'll pop over and visit yours!

      Delete
  13. WOWZERS!!...such fabulous projects that won't cost the earth to make...thank you :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gina!
      So glad you liked the projects! I think it's more fun to try to create things that don't break the bank- most of the supplies were leftovers from other projects ( I never throw away anything LOL)

      Delete
  14. So many wonderful ideas and crafts to make, how fun! thank you, please visit, Plumfield, http://plumfieldhousegardens.blogspot.com/
    hope to see you, Celeste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Celeste! So glad you enjoyed the post and I can't wait to pop over for a visit!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  15. Just popping back to say thank you for following me, I'm now following you, too!

    Victoria from Brushstrokes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, sooo that's what the eggs are called! I am very happy to see how they are made! So many fun ideas here for a great party! Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kelly!
      I'm not really sure if the eggs have an official name so I called them Spiderweb eggs LOL
      So glad you stopped by
      Cheers!

      Delete
  17. What adorable creatures you have to share your party! I love the plates! What hard work you put into it, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura
      This is one of my favorite holidays to craft for :)
      So glad you liked our guests lol
      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete
  18. So much to love about this tea. It's topping my Holloween -ie Picks of the Eek now through the 31st

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan!
      I had such fun putting it together- so glad you liked it!
      Picks of the Eek - LOL!

      Delete
  19. Such wonderful craft ideas, thank you so much for sharing them. I also looked at your post for a ghost in a jar, they are soooo cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachel!
      So glad you enjoyed the post -and last years ghost- funny I just got him out of storage and dusted him off for this year and he still works lol
      so glad you stopped by
      Cheers!

      Delete
  20. What a fun and enchanted, lighthearted party with terrific crafts! My children would love to do these. Thank you

    I would love for you to stop by for a spell:
    http://marrowandmeadow.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/halloween-party-2014-a-tale-of-the-bone-mother/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      The crafts are really pretty easy to do :)
      I'll definitely pop over for a visit!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  21. What a wonderful and spooktacular party! So inspirational and wonderful! Thank you for your visit to my blog! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      This blog party has been such fun! still haven't visited everyone yet!

      Delete
  22. Oh. My. Goodness!!! You throw the most lovely tea parties! =D

    And thank you for all the fun little tutorials! I am definitely going to be making some chocolate bats... and those plates! Thanks so much for so many fun ideas!

    Have a very happy Halloween! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      I love crafting for this time of year :) Hope you try the bats! They are super easy and you can put them on cupcakes too
      So glad you stopped by for a visit
      Cheers!

      Delete
  23. Oh my goodness. I had a wonderful time at your party. Sitting at your table sampling all of the goodies was wondrous. I am running late but I hope that you will have a chance to come to my party.
    momentsinaneye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda!
      So glad you enjoyed the post -you're welcome anytime :)
      I'll definitely pop over to your party!

      Delete
  24. Just adored your witches tea party! Spooky, magical, sweet and classy all at once!

    http://broomsticksandlace.blogspot.ca/2014/10/a-fanciful-twist-halloween-party-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - you're so sweet! I'll can't wait to pop over and visit you- I still haven't gotten to visit all the parties but what fun!

      Delete
  25. Very cute! I especially like your DIY dessert plates! So well done! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth!
      I figured even witches should enjoy a nice cup of tea
      Thanks also for hosting your lovely parties!
      Cheers!

      Delete

  26. This is a very creative post. Your tea treats look good, especially the iced cake. Thank you for linking up with me and enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi and thanks for hosting!
      I always enjoy your link parties :)

      Delete
  27. Adding my thanks for your fabulous party, I had fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! Nice party-Truly enchanting.So glad You dropped by :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. The "Nevermore" plate is clever! I was just reading "The Raven" with my students today :) Thanks for linking up to the blog hop. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how timely- lol
      So glad you liked the project - last Halloween I did a Raven theme - such a classic
      thanks for stopping by :)
      Cheers!

      Delete
  30. Wow Christina, your tea party is great! I LOVE those homemade dishes! Your table is wonderful, and the small witches hats so cool. Have a Happy Halloween tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful details! Thankyou for sharing your 'how to'- the table is inviting and festive! Happy Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I just love decorating for Halloween :)

      Delete
  32. Oh what a fabulous tea party! You always go way out girl. Love, love it! the hat are the 'cats meow'. lol! The eggs are super cool. I joined Vanessa's party for the first time, how fun! Thanks for sharing with SYC as well!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so nice Jann
      I tried to get my "real" cats to model the hats but they would have none of that hahah
      Vanessa's party is such fun (I did her mad tea earlier but this is my first halloween) I'm still visiting all the participants
      Thanks also for hosting your lovely teas
      Cheers!

      Delete

Love to hear your comments and suggestions! Because of excessive spam we are currently asking for that pesky word verification