Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Love Notes: Easy Valentine decor

While the instant gratification of a text or email has it's place for practical purposes, when it comes to expressions of love, the time honored classic Valentine still holds it's own in our increasingly "paperless" world. 
This most romantic of holidays is said to be named for a 3rd century priest, later St. Valentine, who secretly married young couples against the emperors wishes. Imprisoned for his actions, some say he fell in love with the jailers daughter, penning his last letter to her signed "your Valentine"
Others credit these expressions of love to the amorous notes of the imprisoned Duke d'Orleans to his adored wife in the 1400's, one still in existence today today with the words "my very gentle valentine"
Letter from Duke of Orleans to his wife 1415
History by Zim
Centuries later the 1800's saw increased printing technology and decreased postage costs, contributing to the Valentine sending frenzy still in evidence today. In fact sources estimate that in 2015, over 145 million Valentines were sent in the U.S. alone.
For some fascinating facts about the holiday visit the fun and informative 
 History of the Card
Valentine cards are lots of fun to send to others but they can also add a little whimsy and romance to your own home holiday decor. 
While dimensional cards and delightful paper creations have been around for ages, I thought I'd share my quick and easy version that can be made in a snap with printouts and supplies you most likely have on hand. 

  I chose vintage images for their over the top romantic sentiment, (after all it's only once a year) but any era or style Valentine will do.
   
Vintage Valentine Dioramas
I used
vintage Valentine images from 
the graphics fairy
card stock or sturdy paper
weather stripping 
(since I needed such a small amount, I just snipped a bit off a roll, 
still plenty of r the windows)
craft knife and scissors
craft glue
glitter, accents and craft odds and ends


sweet images from the Graphics fairy site
I started by making three identical copies of each image on sturdy paper or card stock, adjusting to desired size.
Cut out image, leaving large sections on either side to fold back as stand later
One image will serve as the background and support, one the mid ground and one the foreground
The background will remain intact, then simply choose elements you want cut away from mid ground and foreground copies, the foreground the smallest having the most cut away to reveal layers behind.
Once your happy with your design, add any glitter, trim or accents. It's easier at this step
 
Then discreetly adhere a small bit of weather stripping at various points, some glue and press carefully but firmly between layers
(you can easily double stripping up for more dimension)
Place on a mantel
or under a cloche with romantic accents

Fun Facts
 In the 1800's "vinegar" Valentines with sometimes funny but often snarky comments were sent, usually and unfairly to spinsters, but also to pretentious or unlikeable acquaintances. In the late 1800's, 25,000 of these were seen as "unfit" to deliver and rejected by the US postal service

In the Middle Ages, people believed birds found their mates on February 14th, thus the dove and feathered friends in general, became popular symbols the holiday

A single rose represents love at first sight
*********

Wishing Everyone the Happiest of Valentine's Days














32 comments:

  1. This was so sweet. What a fun post for Valentine's Day (Month!) I love these pretty Valentines you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cynthia!
      They were fun to make
      I guess I've never outgrown making paper Valentine's lol

      Delete
  2. Those are such beautiful, nostalgic images. I love the Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      I really enjoy using vintage images, especially for holidays!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Valentine's Christina. I adore the Victorian images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gina,
      These were lots of fun to make
      I love Victorian style too -I'm a big fan of your blog of course! :)

      Delete
  4. Your Valentine creations are so sweet. I love the image of the doves! Thanks for sharing with us and enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi
      So glad you enjoyed them and thanks as always for hosting your lovely parties-
      I always look forward to them!

      Delete
  5. My dearest one,
    how much I love this post of yours, ... well, i cannot express by words !
    Thank you for sharing all your love,
    sending sweet, dear hugs to you and happy Valentine's day to you too, seetie !!!
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FORGIVE ALL MY MISTAKES I DIDN'T REALIZE BEFORE THAN PUBLISHING THE COMMENT!!
      HERE I'VE WRITTEN IT AGAIN ;)

      My dearest one,
      how much I love this post of yours, ... well, I cannot express it by words !
      Thank you for sharing all your love,
      sending sweet, dear hugs to you and happy Valentine's day to you too, sweetie !!!
      Dany

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Daniela!
      How sweet of you - I'm delighted you enjoyed the project
      and I didn't even notice any mistakes lol I'm so used to typing my own :)
      Wishing you and yours a very Happy Valentines Day!

      Delete
  6. Wonderfully informative post, and I agree....handwritten is best! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Christiana:
    Thanks so much for linking all this wonderful information about Valentines. I have been in Missouri and now back in Colorado so am just getting back with you! your photos and this history are wonderful! Loved it all! Such creative Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bernideen,
      wow you've been on the go! Hope you didn't hit any of these crazy snowstorms going around
      So glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  8. What a fun and interesting project that could be adapted for other holidays as well. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much-
      You're so right! they could be used for other holidays or birthdays etc
      Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for all the information to make these lovely Valentines. I love to make handmade cards, esp for Valentines. I need to check out your Etsy shoppe too.
    Popping over from Stephanie's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! These were lots of fun to make- and a great way to use those extra odds and ends in my craft boxes lol
      So glad you stopped by :)
      Happy Valentines!

      Delete
  10. These are just darling Christina! I love the dimension. Weather stripping, what a great idea. You have such amazing talent!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jann!
      So glad you enjoyed the project - I tried to use what I had around the house lol-
      Wishing you a Happy Valentine's!

      Delete
  11. Love your valentines card, I had to comment about the tea cup though.The pattern on it is the same as my Nana's set, I have never seen it before any-were else. I have all her dishes so it has a sentimental value to me.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer,
      How funny about the tea cup!- This was most likely a thrift or flea market find- I pick up teacups here and there when I can - so I have a tiny mismatched collection lol- I love this one especially - How wonderful to have to have a set! - It says Johnson Bros England on the bottom- will have to look them up :)
      Cheers!

      Delete
  12. wow these vintage cards are so lovely and beautiful! How lovely to be able to use them in your decor. Thank you for sharing them at our Valentine's party! Now we are high class :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're too sweet!
      Thanks so much for your kind words - so glad you enjoyed the project :)

      Delete
  13. These are so pretty, I love the dimension you gave to them, makes them extra special, a lot of neat facts I hadn't heard before too, I saved the link to go read later. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!- Valentine's is such a fun holiday to craft for :) I had found some facts I didn't know too :)

      Delete
  14. These are just beautiful! Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      They are a fun craft to put together :)

      Delete
  15. These are just darling. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for stopping by!! These are so pretty!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your comments and suggestions! Because of excessive spam we are currently asking for that pesky word verification