Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Fairy Doors: welcoming the wee folk



It seems some of us never outgrow our childhood fascination with the world of miniatures. (I admit, even being of a certain age, to having three dollhouses in varying states of remodeling) 
So naturally I was delighted to find that all things small are making a big comeback. It seems that especially pint sized, or "fairy" gardens, are continuing to grow in popularity with every manner of mini accessories now available for wee folk's home and landscape needs. Of course many of these mini treasures come at not-so-tiny price points, prompting lots of DIY ideas and thriftier alternatives.

 In one of my very first blog posts, I featured a Christmas elf door, a super simple idea that was surprisingly popular, so at the risk of being a one trick pony, I thought I'd revisit it with some new tweaks and variations for the Spring season as well as for an upcoming craft workshop. 
This month I'm thrilled to be included in a group of bloggers who will be sharing their crafts and ideas at the Philly Home Show's Make and Take Station, and thought this would be a fun project. 
Easy to make, with supplies you may have on hand already, fairy or elf doors can be imagined in countless colors and designs to suit your taste and can be tailored to most any season or holiday.


Craft Stick Fairy or Elf Doors
You'll Need
popsicle or craft sticks
paper
white glue
acrylic paints or stains
crafty odds and ends
 (buttons, faux moss, mini accents etc.)
please note these little creations are cute but can be fragile and shouldn't be used as toy 
         

To start, simply glue desired number of sticks to wide band of paper. This will provide support and allow door to bend slightly if desired. For a garden gate look, (right) simply arrange the sticks in a step pattern. Rounded ends can be carefully trimmed with strong scissors or simply camouflaged later with greens. Excess paper on sides make for easy handling and can be snipped off once dry.
While glue is drying, paint or stain the front and allow to dry.
Try a favorite solid color....
or
You can create a fun crackled or weathered look simply with white craft glue and acrylic paints
For crackle technique, paint base color - this will be the shade that appears as cracks
once dry, "paint" with a coat of white glue and while glue is still tacky apply your top coat of acrylic (contrasting colors work best). 
Might want to use a "throwaway" paintbrush for this step.
A thicker glue layer will yield larger cracks but longer drying time
let it dry and voila, instant antiquity

If you are going to use your door to adorn a round flower pot, gently snap between each stick, This gives the door some flexibility but it will still be attached to paper backing for support. 
 
Once dry have fun painting on accents or decorating with foliage or accessories. 
Try button doorknobs and barrette hinges 
for a freestanding door you can glue or tape (a block of floral foam for support
(I used athletic tape from the dollar store) 
or attach a craft stick "stake" to be inserted in planter- 
a fun way to accent a plant for a unique gift

If attaching to wall, make sure to find something appropriate (and removable) at your home store.

We were delighted to share this project at the Philly Home Show!



Looking for a more formal look?
visit our Formal Fairy Garden post
An easy DIY using a spray painted plastic doll and more craft sticks
or
 for our bookish friends 
a garden in a book from A Secret Garden Tea

I'm delighted to have this project featured on the lovely....
The Enchanting Rose

Thanks so much for Visiting!


33 comments:

  1. How fascinated I feel by your little doors, I love them so much, my dearest Christina !
    I've always loved the world of miniatures, I also made with my husband a few doll's houses and I love decorating pots of plants with such little details, thank you for a so cheerful post !

    May your week be filled with love, dearie,
    sending sweet hugs to you,
    with so much thankfulness
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet, Thank you Daniela!
      I have always loved miniatures too - Dollhouses are such fun!
      Of course Making them takes a lot of love, work and patience
      So glad you enjoyed these little crafts

      Cheers
      Christina

      Delete
  2. These are adorable and perfect timing for me. I just made four fairy gardens and the mini pieces for them were so expensive! I did the layered terrarium style. These doors would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun- I've seen pictures of the layered versions- would love to try one!
      So glad you like these- it's funny, I made the original elf door version because I fell in love with one online that was $40 and thought there must be a way to DIY these lol!

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! I have a little fairy door in my house and it's so funny because when visitors come it causes a ruckus. They often look at me like I'm a little bit crazy. I try to explain that I don't believe in fairies...I just think it's cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll do a post about my fairy door and link to your post. Is that ok with you?

      Delete
    2. Oh My Gosh- somehow I missed your sweet comment- so sorry! (I usually get an email when new comments are left but sometimes they go in the wrong file) sigh
      Many Thanks for kind words and I'd be thrilled to have you link to my post!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful! And definitely cheaper than commercial ones (although there are some lovely ones out there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laura! -
      they're definitely cheaper- I've fallen in love with some online and in garden shops but not so much with some of their price tags. LOL

      Delete
  5. Your fairy doors are so cute - what a fun project.

    Thanks for sharing at SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fairy doors are so cute! This is a fun project. I have one {ordered off the Internet several years ago and my son thought his mother had lost it!} but to be able to make your own and decorate it the way you want would be so much better. I love 'fairy' anything! Thank you for sharing yours; they're adorable!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi!
      How funny about your son- little did he know you were ahead of the trend lol
      These are lots of fun to make, if not quite as fancy as the store bought versions.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet friend, your fairy doors are incredibly charming and sweet! I would love to make some and create a fairy garden of my own.

    Thank you for sharing your talent with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much -They are so simple to make but lots of fun. I'm so glad you enjoyed them and thanks for hosting your lovely parties- I always find wonderful ideas

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful and sweet idea !
    Greetings ,
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Franca, I had such fun making them :)

      Delete
  10. This is such an adorable idea. I think I'll be making Christmas ones as gifts for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They would make fun gifts- you could add little wreaths on the door etc :)

      Delete
  11. You just set my imagination into a frenzy with this.... I think you have just solved my issue of wanting to make about 200 Christmas ornaments on the cheap... and this should do it... these are darling but also will transfer to Christmas items with little to no effort. Thanks a million!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! 200 ornaments! Hope you have some elves to help out-
      what a fun idea- you could attach ribbon hangers instead of having them stand- and there are so many cute little Christmas accessories available at craft or dollar stores (I bought a pack of mini wreaths last year I can't wait to use)
      would love to see your creations!
      Cheers!

      Delete
  12. These are adorable and something that I have put on my To Make List!! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. So clever and creative. I love your little doors. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi lovely friend! I wanted to let you know that this beautiful post was featured at Roses of Inspiration today. Thanks for sharing! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely fell in love with your doors! I'm going to try making some for my pot plants! Thanks for the idea and the tutorial~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad you like the project-
      They are really easy to make- I might try a leprechaun version for St. Patrick's :)

      Delete

Love to hear your comments and suggestions! Because of excessive spam we are currently asking for that pesky word verification